GSBS Programs in Abilene
Life in Abilene
Abilene, a thriving Texas city perched on the sun-drenched Panhandle Plains, is in the northeast corner of Taylor County. It is situated 1,708 feet above sea level on generally flat terrain which allows for four rather modest seasons. Abilene owes its genesis to the Texas and Pacific railroad and a group of ranchers and land speculators and is now home to a thriving arts and culture scene as well as an influx of fresh ideas that come with students attending the several local colleges, including TTUHSC. However, the Western spirit is alive and kicking in this mid-sized town, as herds of roaming buffalo and a plethora of cattle ranches can be found along with coyotes, cowboys, and four-wheel drive trucks. The big-sky and wide plains extend out in every direction. Area parks and lakes make for enjoyable boating, biking and hiking. The town boasts a low crime rate, low cost of living and mild-climate. It's friendly nature is renown, but if big city shopping is a must, you are only ~2 hrs from the Fort Worth/Dallas area.
- Find adventure at Frontier Texas!
- Feed the giraffes at the Abilene Zoo
- Bite into a juicy rib-eye steak
- Be amazed at The Grace Museum
- Catch a star at the Paramount Theatre
- Step back into time at Buffalo Gap Historic Village
- See artists in action at The Center for Contemporary Arts
- Book time for the National Center for Children’s Illustrated Literature
- Review WWII at the 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum
- Shop, shop, shop till you drop