Veteran to BSN
TTUHSC School of Nursing offers an accelerated track for veterans with prior military medical training and experience to earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. The VBSN track is open to veterans from all branches of the service and is designed to build on the education and experience of the veteran with a system of assessment that will allow for advanced placement in the curriculum based upon demonstration of knowledge and skill. This accelerated 12-month track has online classes with clinical instruction guided by assigned clinical coaches and nursing clinical faculty. The track opened in the Spring of 2016 in Odessa, Abilene, Amarillo, San Antonio, and the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, with the addition of Austin and Lubbock beginning the Spring of 2018. To be eligible for admission to the track an applicant must be a Texas resident or be willing to sign an affidavit of willingness to relocate to Texas.
Upon completion of prerequisite courses, the VBSN track can be completed in 12 months (61 semester credit hours).
Applicants interested in applying for financial aid (student loans, grants, scholarships) upon admittance to the School of Nursing must complete a Free Application for Federal Student aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. The School of Nursing requires a FAFSA on file to be eligible for scholarships offered by the school.
- All applicants to the VBSN track must complete an online application as directed on the School of Nursing Website. All applicants must meet requirements listed below for admission consideration.
- Applicants are reviewed by the VBSN Admission Task Force, and are evaluated individually. Acceptance is based upon a competitive ranking process for selection using a point system of academic and non-academic requirements and considerations.
- Note: International students with F1 and F2 status are not eligible to apply to an online program.
- Prior to admission offer, applicants must have either completed all 59 credit hours (SCH) of lower-division general education courses as outlined in the School of Nursing Catalog and posted on the SON VBSN website or have completed at least 40 of non-nursing prerequisites with proof of enrollment for the remaining prerequisites. Prior to admission offer, applicants must have completed at least three of the five required sciences classes, which include Pathophysiology, Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology I, Anatomy and Physiology II, and Chemistry. All prerequisites must be completed prior to the first day of classes
- Minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.5; preference for overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Preference for science GPA of 3.0 or higher in core courses including Chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Microbiology, and Pathophysiology. Completion of 3 of the 5 lab sciences is required by application close date
- Submission of TEAS V (or most current version of the Test of Essential Academic Skills)
scores no later than the application close date; TEAS V requirements are outlined
- Proficient level or higher required in all the following areas: Reading, Math, Science, English and Language Usage;
- Preference will be given to applicants whose TEAS scores are at the exemplary level;
- Scores for the TEAS V exam older than one year prior to application submissions deadline will not be accepted; and
- Students applying can take the TEAS no more than two (2) times per application cycle. If two sets of scores are submitted the scores will be averaged. Effective for students applying for admission Spring 2018, students applying can take the TEAS no more than two (2) times per year (both attempts must occur within the one year period prior to application submission deadline).
- Submission of current American Heart Association BLS Certification prior to first day of class
- Based upon fulfillment of all VBSN application eligibility requirements as outlined in the School of Nursing Catalog and posted on the VBSN website, a determination will be made on an offer of an interview
- A face-to-face interview. For those invited for an interview, a written essay will be required. Professional attire is also required for the interview
- Health Care Specialist Rating (i.e. medic, corpsman, vocational/practical nurse) while in the service (if accepted into the VBSN track, a DD214 showing proof of a medical rating must be submitted). To order your DD214 please go to the following link: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/
- Documentation of recent health care experience (within the past three years), either in the military or as a civilian
- One Page Resume
- Documentation of US citizenship or Green Card holder
- Status as Texas resident or documented willingness to relocate
- Active reservists must provide signed letter from reserve commanding officer indicating allowance to participate in program with completion of two-week annual training prior to and after VBSN track.
- VBSN Reservist Agreement
- VBSN Active Military Agreement
- Rationale for interest in nursing as a professional career choice
- Work history and experience
- Permanent resident of TTUHSC service area
- First generation college student
- Prior enrollment at Texas Tech University
- Diversity of experience, including proficiency in other languages, knowledge of other cultures, and/or study abroad
The TEAS measures basic essential skills in the academic content areas for Reading, Mathematics, Science and English and Language Usage. The objectives assessed on the TEAS exams are those which nurse educators deemed most appropriate and relevant to measure entry-level academic readiness of nursing program applicants.
Completion of the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) V exam with a minimal proficiency level in all the following areas: Reading, Math, Science and English & Language Usage
For information on testing locations and availability to schedule an exam, you may do one of the following:
- Visit the ATI website at ATItesting.com
- Contact ATI at (800) 667-7531
- Perform an internet search for "TEAS test sites"
Applicants in the Lubbock area may contact the TTU Academic Testing Center on the Texas Tech Campus, to schedule an exam time.
Exam must be taken no more than one year prior to application submission; scores that are older than 1 year will not be accepted.
Creating an account
All individuals preparing to take the TEAS test must first create an ATI account to do so, visit atitesting.com and click "Create an Account" (follow the screen prompts). You will only need to register once, and you will use the same account throughout your nursing program. You'll need your ATI username and password to take an online test, or your ATI paper/pencil ID to take a paper/pencil test. Please take this information with you to the testing location when you go to take the TEAS test.
When searching for your institution, it will show as: Tx Tech U 2nd Degree
For more information about required TEAS scores, Click Here
All unofficial military transcripts must be evaluated by the College Credit for Heroes prior to admission.
- Go to https://www.collegecreditforheroes.org/
- Register with CCH
- Request an evaluation of your military educational experience
- Request a CCH transcript be sent to the TTUHSC School of Nursing via mail or email:
School of Nursing
3601 4th Street,, MS 6264
Lubbock, TX 79430
Transcript evaluation of all non-military colleges & universities is highly recommended prior to submitting your application. To receive an evaluation, potential students must submit the following items:
- Transcripts from ALL United States colleges and universities you have attended in your lifetime.
- Official transcripts received by the Evaluator will be copied, reviewed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. If submitting an unofficial copy of a transcript, it must be a physical copy of the official transcript. All transcripts must be received by the Evaluator prior to review.
Transcripts may be submitted via email, fax or mail to:
Contact information must include the following:
- Focus of Interest (VBSN)
- Phone Number
- Email Address
Any transcript which does not comply with the above instructions will not be reviewed. This includes a transcript which has been cut and pasted into an email.
Potential students who submit compliant transcripts will receive an evaluation form within 21 days.
NOTE: We no longer have a timeframe to complete a transcript evaluation, be advised that evaluations will be processed in the order in which they are received complete with all necessary forms and transcripts.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that their application is complete. Read here about how a criminal history could affect occupational licensing.
|Semester||Application Open||Application Deadline|
|Spring Admission Only||May 1||July 15|
- All applicants will be reviewed in an individual and holistic manner. No single factor will determine a student's admission.
- Although Academic Criteria is an important factor in admission consideration, additional Non-Academic information is as important.
- To be reviewed for admission, all application materials must be submitted and completed by the indicated application close date.
- All students who meet the required deadline will have the same chance of being reviewed regardless of whether the application was received at the beginning or end of the review period. You must have all prerequisites completed prior to first class date.
Although the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) is part of the Texas Tech University System, legally it is a separate institution from Texas Tech University. Therefore, students applying to the TTUHSC School of Nursing must submit all documents required for admission consideration directly to the TTUHSC School of Nursing.
- Once you have submitted your application, official transcripts can be mailed or sent
electronically directly from ALL colleges or universities attended to:
TTUHSC School of Nursing
Office of Student Affairs - Transcripts
3601 4th Street STOP 6264
Lubbock, TX 79430-6264
Office of the Registrar
3601 4th Street MS 8310
Lubbock, TX 79430-6264
- Note: Transcripts will not be accepted with a print date over a year old from the date received.