TTUHSC Research

Travel to Foreign Countries

Do not travel to conduct research or educational activities to embargoed countries without first checking with the Office of Research to secure a license from the Department of Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control.  A request to travel in embargoed countries is sometimes granted for educational purposes.

The current list of embargoed countries includes the following:

  • Burma (Myanmar) (travel allowed, import of products from Burma not allowed)
  • Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
  • Cuba
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Iran
  • Liberia
  • Libya
  • North Korea
  • Somalia
  • Sudan

This list is subject to updates.  Please reference OFAC's Sanctions Program and Country Summaries for the most current list.

What Can You Take with You Overseas?

Under the license exception for temporary export (TMP) you can take usual and reasonable kinds and quantities of tools of trade (laptops and software) for use by you or your employees in the foreign country. The laptop must remain under your effective control or your employee's (you or your employee must retain physical possession of the item, lock it in a hotel safe, or have it guarded).  Encryption commodities and software may be pre-loaded on a laptop, handheld device or other computer or equipment.  If possible, call IT and obtain a “clean” laptop that will not contain any research information but can be used for “office” use while out of the country.

Additional foreign travel information from the FBI