Dean's Contingency Funds - Request for Funding
Program Description and Instructions
- The Dean’s Office annually budgets a contingency fund for use by all medical students of the TTUHSC School of Medicine. This includes medical students at the Amarillo,
Lubbock, and Permian Basin campuses.
- The funds available from the Dean’s Contingency Fund will be allocated according to
the following stipulations:
- It should aim to bring all students together,
- It should be an educational improvement to our students, and/or
- It should be beneficial to the community.
- A Contingency Fund Committee consisting of five (5) members manage this account and
make recommendations to the Dean’s Office to approve funding specific organization/project/individual
- In order to request money, students must first comply with the following:
- The student/organization must gain approval from the Student Affairs to be excused
from class/clerkship to attend a professional meeting, conference or school-related
function prior to applying for assistance from the Dean’s Contingency Fund. See SOM OP 40.02, Student Attendance Policy.
- The student/organization must seek funding from their representative student organization
- If funds are not sufficiently available from the student organization, the student/organization
must conduct fund raising efforts, prior to the event or conference and submission
of this application, as a first attempt to generate funds.
- If the funds are not sufficient at that point, the student/organization must contact
and request financial support from their respective departments. For example, a student
member of the Internal Medicine Club should seek sponsorship from the Department of
Internal Medicine, a research student should seek sponsorship from the department/mentor
through which their research is conducted. Written documentation from the department
is required in the form of an email or written note and must be included with the
- If funds are still not adequate, the student/organization may complete the attached
request form to petition the Contingency Fund Committee for assistance.
- Information about the conference or event must be provided in the form of an informational
brochure, flyer, website, etc., and included with this application.
- Requests must be submitted to the Office of the Dean at least fourteen (14) days in
advance of when the funding is needed.
- Submission to the Medical Student Government: The Funding Request Form should be downloaded, completed, and forwarded to the Medical Student Government
- Requests for funding by the Dean's Contingency Fund will be discussed and processed
during regular meetings of the Medical Student Government.
- Completed forms should be submitted to the MSG President (William.S.Sessions@ttuhsc.edu) prior to a regularly scheduled meeting.
- Note: All requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Funding is not guaranteed and is exhaustible.
- Funds may carry additional stipulations.
- An organization/club or individual must demonstrate how the conference will benefit
the medical student body or TTUHSC. Every club must present information obtained from
the event or conference upon returning to TTUHSC in the form of an informational meeting
- Individual students and student organizations will only be granted DCF assistance
to go to a conference one time per academic year, in an attempt to allow as many organizations
and individuals as possible to have this opportunity.
Other questions regarding funding through the Dean's Contingency Fund can be referred
to the Office of the Dean at 806.743.3000.