students on campus
a veteran student in a lab


Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center would like to welcome our veterans, military, and their families. We appreciate your service and sacrifice, and look forward to assisting you in reaching your academic goals.

The Office of Veterans and Military Advising is here to assist our students with their VA Benefits and Hazlewood Exemption. We are here to ensure that all necessary documents are submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs and to certify student enrollments.


Sara Henly
HSC Veterans and Military Advisor/School Certifying Official
Veterans Resource Center
Preston Smith Library, 218
3601 4th St. STOP 7782
Lubbock, TX 79430

Phone: 806.743.7549 or 806.743.1957


we have t-shirts for sale, too!

2018 Military Friendly School
2018 Military Friendly School

Member of the Council of College and Military Educators (CCME)

Student Veterans of America (SVA) Chapter

sva logo

Using Benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. Government website.
Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®
Ch. 32 Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
Ch. 35 Survivors and Dependents Assistance
Ch. 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

Students must apply to use VA benefits at
Submit the following documents to the HSC Certifying Official (
1. VA Certificate of Eligibility (6 months old or less), or screenshot of eligibility from eBenefits. If using Ch. 31 Vocational Rehab, a valid Form 1905 must be submitted to the School Certifying Official. If using Ch. 1606, please also submit NOBE (DD Form 2384-1) from your unit.
2. VA Benefit Request form (must be submitted every semester, after registration)
3. DD-214 (Member 2 or 4 copy) (if applicable)
4. Military Transcript(s) (if applicable) - Joint Services Transcript (JST) orCommunity College of the Air Force

Hazlewood Overview and Checklist
Continued Enrollment form (NOTE: If student has any break in enrollment, they must submit the Initial Hazlewood Application, with all supporting documentation)
Hazlewood Application (if using exemption for the first time at HSC)
Also submit the following if using Hazlewood for the first time:
1. DD-214 (Member 2 or 4 copy)
2. VA Certificate of Eligiblity (COE), for Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®, if veteran served after 9/10/2001. If Legacy using veterans Hazlewood, provide a current COE if veterans served after 9/1/2009. Student must apply at
3. Proof of Hazlewood Online Database Registration
4. Copy of one document, less than 30 days old, with veteran's name and address, proving veteran's Texas residency
5. Military Transcript(s) (if applicable) - Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force
6. Revocation of Previously Assigned Hours (to Institution where other Legacy student is currently using hours)

1. Do I have to be full-time to use my benefits? No, but the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) is only payable when the rate of pursuit is more than 50%, and the student is not active duty. The allowance will not be paid if the student is using a Transfer of Entitlement, and the spouse is active duty.

2. If I fail a class, will the VA pay for me to re-take it? Yes, or if a program requires a higher grade than the one achieved.

3. If I used Hazlewood in the past, but took a break, do I need to submit the Initial Application and all supporting documentation again? Yes.

4. How will I know if my request has been approved? VA and Hazlewood certifications are a two-part process. Once the second part has been completed by Student Business Services, you will see your benefit reflected on your eBill.

5. What is the deadline for submitting my Hazlewood request each semester? The deadline for Hazlewood is the last day of class, as per your Academic Calendar.

6. Do I have to submit a VA and/or Hazlewood request every semester? Yes, if you want to be certified for that benefit.


Other Information