Standardized Patient Program
The Standardized Patient Program at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) is dedicated to assisting current and future healthcare providers in developing and maintaining competencies in clinical, communication and professional skills. Standardized patients (SPs) are committed to ensuring simulation-based educational activities at TTUHSC’s clinical simulation centers are realistic, enriching, and enjoyable. SPs are trained to depict specific sets of health problems and symptoms that aid students in learning the proper techniques and procedures for communicating with patients and their families, taking medical histories, performing physical examinations, determining diagnoses, and providing appropriate healthcare education.
As an SP you are part of a vital team providing essential, quality simulation-based education to our learners. Our goal is to enhance the educational experience of those we serve. We provide educational activities that permit students/residents/fellows to learn, practice, and master patient care skills in a safe, controlled environment. These opportunities are critical; allowing individuals to develop the competences required to provide safe, quality patient care. Simulation can be either formative (learning) or summative (assessment). As an SP in the TTUHSC Standardized Patient Program, you are a member of our team and fulfill a critical and valuable educational role.
As a standardized patient, you should always:
- Be comfortable with your health and dealing with health professionals
- Be an excellent listener
- Be reliable and punctual
- Be nonjudgmental when working with individuals with diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Be professional and respectful to others
- Portray the role or scenario consistently as trained by staff and faculty
- Demonstrate the ability to recall and document information
- Evaluate a learner’s performance without bias following set criteria
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Maintain confidentiality in all information regarding cases students, residents, and fellows
- Be willing to contribute to the simulation-based education for health care professionals
- Be willing to be videotaped for educational purposes
- Demonstrate basic computer skills (typing, navigating mouse, adjusting volume)
- Flexibility of scheduling
- Standardized patients are recruited as needed, based on curriculum, on a part-time/hourly basis.
- No experience needed or required.
- SPs are paid *$20.00 per hour
*Opportunity for participation in invasive procedures at a higher rate.
If you are interested in being a standardized patient, please fill out the form below
and someone will contact you.
Standardized Patient Inquiry