This program will provide therapists with the opportunity to develop the advanced knowledge base, clinical skills, and professional competencies needed for state-of-the-art evaluation and treatment of their patients. As result, it will allow them to increase their level of sophistication, efficiency, efficacy, and clinical outcomes in orthopaedic physical therapy practice.
The ScD Program is designed to prepare clinical practitioners in the area of advanced orthopaedic physical therapy with an emphasis in clinical diagnostics and manual therapy. In addition, it provides students with expertise to manage patients with complex musculoskeletal problems. These learning opportunities will be enhanced through the new multi-million dollar teaching and research facilities located at TTUHSC, the latest technology, and faculty who are experts in the area of orthopaedic physical therapy practice.
Here are few of the highlights that make the ScD Program in Physical Therapy at TTUHSC an ideal setting for practicing physical therapists to continue their post-professional education:
- The program admits clinicians with bachelor's or master's PT degrees, as well as a D.P.T. degree.
- The program provides an advanced clinical orthopaedic curriculum that emphasizes PT diagnostics and manual therapy.
- The curriculum is presented in a weekend course format with web-based course enhancement.
- The program offers mentoring in the areas of clinical practice, research, and teaching.
- Students are allowed to continue with their clinical employment as PTs while enrolled, as their work settings provide ideal settings for applying what is learned in the program.
- Each ScD student has the option of clinical research or clinical teaching for their clinical dissertation project.
- The curriculum can serve as a potential source for continuing education units.
- The program provides content and experiences that support one's preparation for Orthopaedic Certified Specialist (OCS) examination.
Since inception in 2001, over 45% of program graduates have gained full time faculty positions in first-profession (entry-level) PT education programs, while over 40% have developed into post-professional educators (over half of these individuals do not teach in a formal academic setting, but rather work in the clinic and serve as educators of other clinicians in a post-professional course format). Moreover, several of the graduates are serving in a Chair or Program Director capacity and many have transitioned into Clinical Director or Clinical Owner positions. Finally, the ScD Program maintains a 100% first-time hire rate for those graduates who have applied for academic positions. Thus, the ScD Program in physical therapy has become ideally suited for developing professional leaders, mentors, educators and clinical researchers.
The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) does not offer accreditation for post-professional programs in physical therapy, such as the ScD in Physical Therapy.
Thank you for your interest in our program. It is our belief that we offer one of the most unique and thorough post-professional orthopaedic physical therapy education programs in the country. Should you have any questions on the program, please do not hesitate to e-mail the program director at email@example.com
For TTUHSC School of Health Professions to offer online courses in a state other than Texas, TTUHSC must first comply with that state's requirements. These requirements differ from state to state, with requirements being more rigorous and expensive in some states than others. TTUHSC SHP is currently working to gain authorization to offer online courses in all states.