Requirements: International Programs for Students
Students selected to participate in a TTUHSC sponsored international program or activity must complete the following requirements prior to their departure or at the conclusion of their international program:
- Complete a pre-departure orientation through OGH. The pre-departure orientation is two-fold and includes:
- Phase 1: a set of on-line modules to be completed at your convenience and prior to phase two of the pre-departure orientation,
- Phase 2: a meeting with OGH. For students located at a campus other than Lubbock, this portion can be completed via Zoom.
- Complete a packet of on-line emergency & liability forms. Completion of the forms is included in the on-line modules.
- Obtain a passport if you do not already have one.
- Obtain a visa if required to enter the host country. Visa information can be found in the country specific information on the Department of State's website.
- Obtain international health & MEDEVAC insurance. This MUST be purchased through the Office of Global Health unless it is provided by your selected international program.
- Obtain any vaccinations / immunizations required to enter the host country. Visit the CDC website for additional information.
- Provide course objectives for the international program. The objectives will be dependent upon the course for which credit will be received and should be complied in collaboration with faculty from your school. The objectives will be collected via an online form provided by OGH.
- Provide two modes of in-country communication. Examples include e-mail, international cell phone plan, iMessaging, Skype, Viber, or Internet-based text messaging services/apps (e.g., WhatsApp). This information will be collected through the emergency and liability forms.
- Check-out a post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) kit from OGH if the international program includes direct patient care in a clinical setting. Please note: for students participating in a faculty-led program, the faculty member leading the program abroad will obtain the kit for the group.
- Complete an exit survey after the conclusion of the program.
Students should also be aware that all curricular aspects of an international program are handled by the schools. Students should direct questions to their school regarding school-specific eligibility requirements, academic credit, course work, and projects to be completed during the international program.